The vast world of makeup can be totally daunting for makeup newbies. I imagine for a novice, walking into Sephora must feel like how I feel if I walk into a tech store or car yard, totally overwhelmed!
If you’ve got a beauty newbie in your life with a birthday coming up or you simply feel like treating them, here are some great gift ideas to get them started.
A lip trio with options
Everyone can wear lipstick! It needn’t be scary or overwhelming, especially with the right shade and combination of formulas. For your lovely beauty newbie, how about putting together a little lip pack with a liner, lipstick, and gloss!
I would go for:
- A nude liner like Cake Pop
- A pinky nude lippie like Worthy (more neutral nude) or Flutter (a soft pink).
- A gloss or oil like the Sweet Rose lip oil or the Nice N’ Plump lip serum
With these, they can practice lining the lips and play with different saturations of color they’re comfy with.
A neutral palette they can learn with
Eyeshadow can scare the hell out of someone who has only worn Vaseline their whole lives. However, it doesn’t need to be terrifying, not with the right palette!
Pick a stunning nude palette such as the Confessions of a Nudist palette. This has every shade they will need to start from the very beginning.
Show them how to buff a little color into the crease for depth, or gently press a darker shadow into the lash line to make the eyes pop, or tap a little shimmer into the inner corner for glow.
An easy-to-use base and cheek pack
So, they’re going to need something to use as a light base and something to help sculpt the cheeks without going full contour. As a complete blush fanatic, I insist you include a cheek option in your newbie makeup pack! Blush just makes everything brighter, fresher, younger, healthier.
Put together a little base pack including:
- BB cream or tinted moisturizer. Something cheap and cheerful like Maybelline or Wet ‘n’ Wild is ideal! I love the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream ($8.99)
- Blush: a lovely pink or peachy blush such as the Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso or Dolce Pink ($10.99)
- Highlight: a cream highlight that is subtle is ideal. Something they can easily blend in with their fingertips for a gentle glow like the Elf Halo Glow Liquid Filter ($14.00)
- Bronzer: a user-friendly bronzer will help them learn to add warmth and structure to the face. The Jouer Sunswept Bronzer Duo ($33) is so easy to blend and won’t result in “Cheeto face”.
A luxe tool for pampering
Why not throw in a little something that will make them feel truly pampered and bougie? The LiveGlam Pink Rolling Stone Quartz roller not only looks so stunning on the vanity but it feels amazing when rolled on the skin with a little oil or moisturizer. Not only does it feel meditative and fancy AF, it helps to drain any puffiness and sculpt the face. Plus, it’s fool-proof
A beginner-friendly brush set
Your makeup novice is going to need something to put all this product on with! All makeup wearers need a simple set of brushes, and the Brush Off The Haters set is ideal for beginners. They have a foundation brush for buffing in their BB cream and future foundation, an angled powder brush for their blush and bronzer, and a trio of easy-to-use eye brushes for practicing their shadow and liner looks.
And lastly…a little tutorial from you! Take them through their new haul and show them some easy techniques they can do on their own. They’ll love you for life.