Has your makeup been off lately? Maybe it’s splotchy or uneven. If so, try to think back to the last time you thoroughly cleaned your makeup brushes… we’ll wait.
We get it, sitting there cleaning your makeup brushes isn’t exactly anyone’s idea of fun. You probably tell yourself, “they don’t look THAT dirty.” However, cleaning them regularly is important. Not only can it get rid of acne-causing bacteria, but it prevents pigments from getting mixed together and allows for a smoother application.
Product buildup can also shorten a brush’s lifespan, which we especially don’t want to happen to our beloved LiveGlam MorpheMe brushes! So, glammers, it’s time to give them a good cleanse.
“Ugh, how often do I have to do this?”
According to dermatologists, you should wash your face brushes at least once a week, and eye brushes twice a week. Establish a day of the week where you can take the time to clean and take care of them. Sundays are always great so you can have clean brushes to start off your week. Your skin will thank you!
Depending on how much you use them, you can also get away with cleaning your brushes once a month. But, to be safe, shoot for once a week if you have the time!
First, there are two types of bristles:
- Natural Haired bristles are used with dry products like eyeshadows and powders.
- Synthetic bristles are used with wet products like foundations, concealers, and lipsticks.
You can wash both bristles the same way, but synthetic bristles may need some more TLC in between cleanings since they have more residue.
What You Need:
- Gentle soap and water (you don’t need to buy a brush cleanser, but it can save you some time if you already have one!)
- Emphasis on gentle soap. Regular soap can dry out the bristles.
- You can also use baby shampoo, or clarifying shampoo for deep cleaning synthetic bristles.
- For really dirty synthetic brushes, try using dishwashing liquid to get them squeaky clean.
- You can also add tea-tree oil to your mixture to help kill acne-causing bacteria even more.
1. Soak your MorpheMe brush bristles with lukewarm water. Avoid getting the base of the brush wet so the handle doesn’t loosen.
- You can also pour the cleanser into a bowl: Fill it with 1/4 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of cleanser.
3. Massage the bristles in your palm or cleansing pad. This is when you’ll start to see all the makeup that was built up in your brush from the past week or month (you might be slightly horrified).
4. Give the bristles a good rinse in water to wash out the cleanser.
5. Squeeze out excess moisture and reshape the brush.
6. Dry your brushes by hanging the head off the edge of the counter. If you let your brushes dry on a towel, they can become mildewed (yuck).
- Don’t let your brushes dry upright either, or the water can drip down and dissolve the glue in the handle.
7. Once they’re dry, fluff them back up and you’re good to go!
- In between your weekly cleansing, you can use brush cleansing cloths to give them a quick clean.
- If you need to quickly clean brushes in between makeup looks, a brush cleaner spray will get the job done. This is especially great if you’re an MUA working on multiple clients throughout the day and don’t have time to hand wash your brushes in between each use.
What about makeup sponges?
We didn’t forget about you, little squishy friends! Like our MorpheMe brushes, sponges should also be cleaned at a minimum of once a week. Just massage the cleanser into the sponge with your hands and let it soak for a couple of minutes. Once the sponge has absorbed it all, rinse it with lukewarm water and squeeze out the excess. Lastly, let it air dry on your clean counter or soap dish.
Also, make sure to switch out your sponges every 3-4 months! They’re not meant to last forever, glammers.
Now that you have squeaky clean LiveGlam MorpheMe brushes, see how much better your makeup applies and feels! Our Morphe brushes are made to last and give you flawless results each time.
If you haven’t joined our LiveGlam Brush Club yet, make sure to check it out here. Get 3-8 new Morphe brushes every month for only $19.99 (free U.S. shipping)! Plus, in order to bring awareness to Breast Cancer research, our October brushes are an adorable shade of pink. Don’t miss out on these quality brushes!