Some scenarios call for an all-natural makeup look. Others, like big events, bachelorette parties, New Year’s Eve, and Halloween costumes, call for glitter eyeliner looks. Many people would even wear this fun eye art to the supermarket! There’s no doubt that these sparkly beauty looks are bold, but when they’re done right, they can also double as enviable works of art. Plus, what’s not to love about a dramatic eye look?!
As you might imagine, it can be a bit intimidating to try a glitzy eye for the first time. After all, you’ve seen plenty beauty tutorials gone wrong to haunt your dreams for weeks. But there’s a glimmer of hope. And that glimmer of hope, friends, is the Internet.
Chock full of dramatic eye makeup inspiration and how-to’s, the Internet is just waiting for you to take hold of one of the many glitter eyeliner looks out there and make it your own. To make things a little easier for you, we found some of the top eye makeup tips around the web for perfecting the glam shimmery style. Because every girl could use a little more glitter in her life.
How to Apply Glitter Eyeliner
- Start fresh. You’ll want a clean canvas before you begin creating your masterpiece. Wash with a gentle cleanser then follow with a light moisturizer. Make sure it’s completely absorbed into your skin before you start applying makeup.
- Eyeliner is last. This one’s important. Don’t get so excited about the glitter that you try to apply your glitter eyeliner too soon. Your glitter eyeliner is the finishing touch, so go ahead and apply the majority of your makeup first. Add your foundation, do some contouring, and shape up those eyebrows before you even touch your eyeliner.
- Powder eyeshadow is best. You can also apply your eyeshadow before your glitter eyeliner, just make sure that eyeshadow is powdered. Gel and cream varieties tend to smear more, bringing your glitter along with it. No bueno.
- Prime your eyelids with a dark liner before your glitter liner. In most cases, glitter eyeliners aren’t bold enough to be used on their own. To go full glam, you’ll want to line your eyelids with a dark pencil prior to glitzing things up.
- Finally, it’s time for glitter. The best way to add your glitter liner is to stroke a single line right above the black liner, creating a dimensional and super chic look. There are lots of glitter eyeliners out there, so don’t be afraid to pick the color or type that speaks to you the most!
- Keep it simple. Finish your look with a few swipes of mascara, or some fluffy lashes, then keep the rest of your face generally simple so your glamorous eyes can steal the spotlight.
Videos of Glitter Eyeliner Looks
Have you tried this daring eye makeup look before? Was it a dream come true or a disaster of sparkly proportions? Let us know in the comments what worked best for you when applying glitter eyeliner.