As effortless as it looks, achieving (and maintaining) the perfect pout is more high maintenance than you’d think. And, because we’re all complete lipstick addicts, we’ve accumulated many lipstick tricks and hacks over the years – keep scrolling to find out more…
1. A multi-purpose beauty product can be a lifesaver for when we’re tight on both budget and time, and luckily, lipsticks double up well as a cream blush. You’re guaranteed pigment and longevity, and there’s no chance of your blush and lip shades clashing!
2. Love your lipstick shade, but need something a little longer lasting? Make any lipstick matte by holding a sheet of tissue paper over your mouth and patting lightly with a brush dusted with translucent setting powder.
3. To lighten a shade or make a dark natural toned lipstick into more of a nude hue, try mixing it with a little concealer to get your desired shade.
4. Going out for drinks on a Saturday night is all fun and games until you find yourself fretting over the possibility of your red lipstick smudging everywhere and having to check your lip look every 5 minutes in your compact mirror, right? To avoid constant reapplication, try drinking through a straw – yep, it’s really that simple!
5. To ensure your pout stays all night long, layer your lipstick and blot between each layer with a sheet of tissue paper.
6. As beautiful and polished as the bold lip can look, if applied messily, we’re more likely to be making a Krusty the Clown statement rather than a girl power one. To keep things looking crisp and neat, try applying a (very) small amount of concealer with a detailed concealer brush around the perimeter of your mouth.
7. If your lips are naturally dark in pigment, look for nude lipsticks with a peach undertone; peach will always colour correct and so will neutralise and soften that dark pigment.
8. Winter time doesn’t always necessarily pair well with matte lipsticks, so applying a light layer of lip balm before lipstick application is a great way of still being able to use your slightly drier formulas without compromising the condition of your pout!
9. Want to make your pout look a little fuller or a bit more party-appropriate, but hate the feeling of lip gloss? Try dabbing a little highlighter in the middle of your lips for getting the shine without the stickiness.
10. So you’ve just started your skincare routine after a long day out, but your matte lipstick just isn’t budging? Try grabbing the bottle of olive oil from your kitchen cupboard and massaging into your lips before removing with a washcloth!
Jess Hall is a British beauty lover, who can often be found perusing makeup aisles in the search for the perfect peachy pink hues, or perfecting her latest makeup flat lay. When she’s not trialling the latest skincare releases, she enjoys sharing her latest findings, the newest beauty trends and knowledge with you! View all the posts by Jess Hall